September 12, 2011

The world would be a better place if there were more women in bands

Just saying.
September 14th, the bearded man and I were supposed to go see Kylesa play at Great American Music Hall. But they ended up canceling their show and now I am pretty bummed because it would've been a great one. Two drummers! Music that really needs its own genre, but just to be safe, let's put in the metal section! And Laura Pleasants!(!!!) Her guitar is loud and she has pretty hair and can probably kick your ass.

When I first heard of the band Kylesa, I think someone told me "there's a girl in the band" and as soon as that was said I was sold. There are very few women in bands in the genres of music that I listen to, I can probably count them all on one hand.

Laura Pleasants, to me, doesn't seem like the token woman in the band playing bass (no offense to anyone who plays bass!), she plays guitar, her voice is loud.





She is someone who I look up to (cause I can still have heroines at the age of 24), and the last time I saw Kylesa play, I just thought to myself: "I wish I could play guitar like Laura Pleasants."
Actually, I wish I could just play guitar and the drums, and maybe bass, but I'll get back to that on another day.
There need to be more girls who are inspired to play instruments and less girls who are inspired to make one-hit wonders and be on whatever the fuck show or tv channel that still plays music, is there such a thing anymore? I could go on and on about how there are very few good role models for girls and women, but I'll  stick to the positive and just say Laura Pleasants from Kylesa is awesome because she inspires me to want to play music and head bang like I'm never going to get whiplash (which I already do, but I will never look as good as when Laura Pleasants does it).
I think I'll go listen to Kylesa for the umpteenth time today and try to be less bummed that I won't be able to see this cool ass band on Tuesday.
Also, if you ever read this Laura Pleasants, I just want you to know that you are my heroine...and please don't be creeped out by that.

No comments:

Post a Comment