November 19, 2011

House shows are my favorite kind of show

This is usually Bearded Man's deal, you can check out his "show propaganda" blog here, but I want to share too. I really like house shows, but when it's a new place, I kind of feel weird showing up to a stranger's house to see a show. However, this time around, it was different. Do you ever just walk into a place and instantly feel at home even though you don't know anyone there? I felt like that last night when we went to go see Big Kids (the only familiar faces) play at a house in San Jose. I didn't feel weird for standing in a stranger's living room this time around. Later on in the night, I actually met and talked to one of the people who lived there and I was amazed to find out that this had been the first show they'd had at their house. We missed Joyride because of some parking space-finding issues. Damn you SJ and your strict parking enforcement laws! But we managed to make in time to see Acid Fast, I'd only listen to a few of their songs before, but they quickly became a new favorite band to listen to. And also, there's a girl in the band, so extra points for girl power in punk music. Big Kids never disappoints me, and I'm glad I saw them play again.
Now, after Big Kids played, I was confused at who the last band was. I thought it was Sourpatch, but Bearded Man said it was Big Eyes. I could have sworn I head the singer of the "last" band of the night had said they were Sourpatch. The cops ended up shutting the place down around 11 o'clock and the last band that was supposed to play never got to. I'll find out who that mystery band is on Sunday when I go and see almost all the same bands play at Gilman. It's going to be a pop punk party all weekend long.
Bands that played last night and you should listen to (if you'd like, if not, you're missing out):
Big Kids
Acid Fast
Big Eyes
Sourpatch
Joyride

No comments:

Post a Comment