October 10, 2011

No, no, no

Where Dad (and his side of the family) is from:
Where Mom (and her side of the family) is from:
I was reminded by some stupid commercial on NBC about how this month was Hispanic Heritage Month, and I quickly rolled my eyes because, to me, any heritage month is a stupid idea. Why do we need a month? Don't we already celebrate our heritage every single day of the year just by being who we are? I'm Mexican-American (yeah, I know, Sarver isn't a very "Mexican" last name. That's because it is not.), every single day of my life I know that I'm Mexican-American. I don't need a month to remind me about how important Celia Cruz is. She isn't important to me because I'm not Cuban-American. If it was Paquita la del Barrio, then it'd be a different story. That's the thing with these heritage months. They just lump everyone into one big group, when in reality, we're not just one big group. We're different groups who all just happen to speak Spanish, but even then, the way we speak Spanish differs from one another. Maybe a lot of people will disagree with me, however I stand by what I say, I don't want to be lumped into one group, I don't want a special month. I have twelve months where I get to celebrate my heritage. So take that, stupid commercial on NBC!

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. You can't assume that all people who speak Spanish come from the same places or experiences. That's not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also - I am currently making a full body apron of Clint Eastwood for my dad for Christmas. and... I'm working on Saige's birthday gift. I just made some pretty awesome onesies for a co-worker's baby shower this Friday. I finished this apron a couple months ago and I love using it when I'm baking - http://pinterest.com/pin/66636735/ ... I'm one of those people who works on too many things at once - but I always finish. What are you working on? How did your towel turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The towel is done. Finally. Now I am working on my costume, and about 2 other projects. Too many ideas, but not enough time.

    ReplyDelete