April 8, 2012

Metal girl/woman stereotypes

Ever seen that show That Metal Show? If you haven't cause you don't like metal or even if you do but haven't gotten around to it, you're not really missing much. They show the same metal dudes from the same metal bands all the time. Unless they one day interview the members of Ghoul, Kylesa, Municipal Waste, or Venom, or whoever, then maybe I'll watch willingly. But this isn't what bothered me about the show, it was the fact that they found the most stereotypical Sunset Blvd metal girl you could imagine to do some segment (what the segment was, I can't really recall cause I wasn't paying attention). They just had her for show, didn't ask for her opinion on anything, just treating her like eye-candy for all the burly metal bros.
Who am I to judge this woman, maybe she really does like really good metal and not just.....Motley Crue. I just didn't like that she wasn't more involved in the show. She was just brought in and out.
As a person who goes to metal shows quite often, I can tell you that girls who love metal come in all shapes, colors, hair colors, backgrounds. Some dress one way, others dress another way, but we are not just one cookie cutter way: think of every woman in the mid to late 80s hair metal scene, that's who they want to portray as "metal women" but really, it's just a fucking stereotype.

No comments:

Post a Comment